Friday, December 30, 2005

What The Wife Did.

While sitting at the 'puter this morning, I heard a truck pull up outside. Looking out the window, I noticed a Fed Ex truck parked in front of the driveway. "Can't be anything for us", I thought, and went back to what I was doing. The Wife went to the door, said something to someone, and closed the door. I turned around, and she's holding a box. Reading the side of the box (which is 5" wide and 20" tall), I saw the words "Malachy Kearns", and I knew.

The Wife bought me a new bodhran!

I wept, for the first time in a long time, with joy. I'm not exagerating when I say that holding it for the first time was akin to holding my children for the first time -- it was a rebirth for me.

Those who know me (I mean *really* know me), know that I "went away" early last summer due to some deeply disturbing, emotional and mental garbage that culminated in the untimely demise of my old beloved bodhran (ie, I put my foot through it in a rage). That was what put me "over the edge", knowing that I had just destroyed the one thing (outside my family, of course) that I truly loved. It's been said that the bodhran is the heartbeat of Irish music, and destroying it ripped out my heart as well.

My loving Wife gave me my heart back today.

It's a BEAUTY, too: 18" in diameter, 4-1/2" deep, made with a heavy goatskin hide and a frame of good old Irish beech wood. The finish on the frame is a rich, mahogany and has a Claddagh design tacked on it.

I wish I could show you!

Thank you, Honey, for my drum. I love you, Wife! :'^)

4 comments:

  1. If only you had a neighbor that had a digitial camera... oh wait, you do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. sounds like a thoughtful gift. bet she's pissed it didn't get here in time for x-mas. do you pronounce it like bow and arrow or bow on a ship? also reminds me, chem heard a song he thought you would like. said it sounded irish. i'll find the title and artist and get back to you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. contagion: Oh yeeah... When's a good time that I could bring it by?

    tut: Bow on a ship. "Bow-rawn" is as close as us Anglo speakers can get. And I'm looking forward to getting that song title. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. go to myspace.com, look up ravi shankar. the song is 'svara mantra'

    ReplyDelete