Friday, April 21, 2006
(Miracle of Frreakin' Miracles! My dumb ass almost never keeps those things!)
and I emailed Roundstone.
I got a response that, while satisfactory, is odd in a kind of cool way.
First, the odd part: I was advised to take a small piece of strong plastic and super-glue it over the back of the pin-hole.
Just thinking about it, I know that will work - c'mon, it's goat skin and super-glue! - even though it sounds like a bullshite solution.
And the cool part: If it doesn't work (or in their words, "if it's not satisfactory", meaning if it does work but I still don't like it), they'll work with me, which means they'll replace it.
I love Roundstone!
By the way, some bodhran trivia: A leading cause of pin-holes appearing in bodhran skins is......
Insect bites inflicted while the goat was alive.
*chirrup, chirrup, chirrup....*
Thursday, April 20, 2006
Yeah, I hear you: "There's bullshit no matter where you go", said in a snide, all-knowing voice.
Well, duh! I know there's bullshit wherever you go and wherever you work because, chances are, I've worked there, too!
I've had a lot of jobs in my life..... a LOT of jobs.... too fecking many to count.... and trust me, the one I have now......
TOPS. THEM. ALL!
It's time, me thinks, to go back on the Road.
I just spent 2 hours filling out apps, hoping that one of them sticks. It won't be the one that I really want -- I don't have enough OTR experience for that one -- but if all works out, after just a few months, I will get it.
I should tell you a little of why I feel this way about my sucktastic job but whenever I sit down to do just that, words fail me.
Enough for now. I'm going to bed early tonight and see if I can forget how to breathe.
Friday, April 14, 2006
There ain't nobody around.
Must be nice to have a life....
I do have a question though..... Who thought it was a good idea to make hemp scented incense? Isn't the idea to mask that pot smell?
(That's not what I'm cursing. The session itself was fun - like minded folks sittin' around trying to remember Irish tunes we haven't played in years, and havin' a grand time).
What I'm cursing is the fact that my beloved bodhran has a pin-hole in it!!!
I'd noticed that there was a very small, very thin spot in the skin up near the rim. I'd avoided that area like the plague, taking care not to play that part of the drum, but despite that, a pin-hole showed up anyway!
I was looking forward to playing it at the Macktown Gathering in a couple of weekends. I'll have to take my "inferior" bodhran and pray that it doesn't crap out on me.
(It's very sensitive to humidity, to the point that when I try to play it outside, it's like smacking a plastic trash bag if there's more than 20% humidity in the air).
What can I do? I've emailed Mr. Kearns, just in case there's something he can tell me and/or do to remedy this situation. I've only had my bodhran since Jan. 2nd, for fucksake!
Ya know what? I know it's a day of fasting (Good Friday and all), but I'm gonna drink some Jack n' Coke.
(It's still fasting if you're not chewing, right?)
Besides, I have yet to blog whilst drunk, so I'll be giving that a go.
Within mere moments, in fact.
Tuesday, April 11, 2006
How many dogs does it take to change a light bulb
1. Golden Retriever: The sun is shining, the day is young, we've got our whole lives ahead of us, and you're inside worrying about a stupid burned out bulb?
2. Border Collie: Just one. And then I'll replace any wiring that's not up to code.
3. Dachshund: You know I can't reach that stupid lamp!
4. Rottweiler: Make me.
5. Boxer: Who cares? I can still play with my squeaky toys in the dark.
6. Lab: Oh, me, me!!!!! Pleeeeeeeeeze let me change the light bulb! Can I? Can I? Huh? Huh? Huh? Can I? Pleeeeeeeeeze, please, please, please!
7. German Shepherd: I'll change it as soon as I've led these people from the dark, check to make sure I haven't missed any, and make just one more perimeter patrol to see that no one has tried to take advantage of the situation.
8. Jack Russell Terrier: I'll just pop it in while I'm bouncing off the walls and furniture.
9. Old English Sheep Dog: Light bulb? I'm sorry, but I don't see a light bulb!
10. Cocker Spaniel: Why change it? I can still pee on the carpet in the dark.
11. Chihuahua: Yo quiero Taco Bulb. Or "We don't need no stinking light bulb."
12. Greyhound: It isn't moving. Who cares?
13. Australian Shepherd: First, I'll put all the light bulbs in a little circle...
14. Poodle: I'll just blow in the Border Collie's ear and he'll do it. By the time he finishes rewiring the house, my nails will be dry.
She's such a card.....
Thursday, April 06, 2006
I was all worried about not being able to go, and I shouldn't have been: you see, I was registered with Clan Chattan.
Apparently, someone didn't get the memo. Or this one, from the day after.
(What the hell, the person who registered me did so in good faith -- and since I don't think he ever goes on-line -- wasn't told I'd left. I'll thank him when I see him out there and 'splain things to him.)
Anyhoo, I called the Event Coordinator -- a lovely and gracious lady, to be sure -- thinking that I was way too late to register, and she told me that I was registered with the Clan.
(With a "C") Guess that line doesn't really work in print, huh?
>sigh<>non-drink related) and the EC knows of me, and likes what I do because.... well.... she allowed me to re-register as an independant after all.
The only thing that worries me - and some say I shouldn't be - is that I may need to be juried into this event since I'm on my own now. This is where the Booshway and/or Commitee Members come by my camp, check out what I'm doing in regards to: interacting with the public, costuming, what's in my kit, etc.
(In other words, making sure that I'm contributing to the event and not just sitting on my arse eating bacon all day!)
I'll probably need a photo of myself in period garb and my camp.
Some friends say I worry too much about this stuff, that I over-think things like this, and maybe they're right.....
I'm still nervous about it.
Well, I'm done boring y'all for now, so I'll get back at it later.
Maybe next week, maybe next month....
Contagion graciously said he'd take the shot.
I don't think I'll tell him where it is yet.......