Tuesday, January 31, 2006

So You Think That's Funny?

Ya know... I thought I'd hear it from Contagion but instead, I catch it from Ktreva:

The best way to play a bodhran is with a penknife.

Har de har har.

Now I like a good joke as much as the next guy, but come on... that one's just tired.

So here are some new ones:

Fellow walks into a pub in Belfast with a plastic bag under his arms.
The bartender asks "What's that?"
"Six pounds of semtex", he answers.
"Thanks be to Jaysus; I thought it was a bodhrán!"

Then there was the bodhran player who remembered that he had left his bodhrán in his unlocked car. Rushing back, he opened his car door to find two more bodhráns in the back seat.

A bodhran player was sick of the band abusing him, and decided to start his own. He walked into a music shop, planning to buy the first instruments he saw.
"Give me the red saxophone and that accordion!", he said.
The assistant said, "You play the bodhran, don't you?"
"That's right. Why?"
"Well, the fire exinguisher I can sell you - but the radiator stays.

What's the only proper way to play a bodhrán?
With an open penknife.

(There ya go Contagion & Ktreva) ;^)

What do you call a groupie who hangs around annoying session musicians?
A bodhrán player.


What is the difference between a bodhrán player and a terrorist?
Terrorists have sympathisers.

(One of my favorites!)

What do bodhrán players use for birth control?
Their personalities.


How do you know when there is a bodhrán player at your front door ?
The knocking gets faster and faster and faster...

(Another favorite...)

Why do bodhrán players find it difficult to enter a room ?
They never know when to come in.


What's the difference between a bodhrán and a trampoline?
You take off your shoes when you jump on a trampoline.

(and another...)

Bodhrán care is simple... Rub gently with lighter fluid and ignite.

Then of course there was the fiddle player who, while visiting the local pub, was asked for a dollar to help pay for the funeral of a local bodhrán player.
"Here's two dollars;" he says "bury another."


All these (and maybe more to come), courtesy of Bodhran Jokes.

"Wallup!"

12 comments:

  1. Hehehe and here I never would have thought the bodhran would have it's own joke category :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey now, the only reason I continue to tell that joke is because it's tradition. It's a joke that I keep telling that joke!

    HAHA, my word verification is brmmtmkm (Barrum tum tum)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What do a plumber and a bodhran player have in common?

    Neither of them knows anything about music.

    Sorry. Had to drop that one in.

    ReplyDelete
  4. shadoglare: Are you KIDDING?! I've seen and heard some bodhran players at sessions that put the truth into these jokes (and there are even more that I'll post later)! If there's a joke about it, it *probably* actually happened. :^)

    contagion: Yeah, I know. The only reason I wrote what I did is that you can't see me roll my eyes here. ;^)
    "(Barrum tum tum)"
    word verification = prophesy? LOL!

    THD: And if you're a bodhran playing plumber, you are well and truly screwed. :^D

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'll have to post about the drum player that I got kicked out of the tent while at a gig at The Rockford Highland Games a few years ago.

    Damn, I'd forgotten all about that one...

    ReplyDelete
  6. YAY!! I expect more jokes to be forthcoming

    ReplyDelete
  7. jeez, wes, you ever think about pounding on a dead armadillo instead? sounds like that would be more popular than your current choice of instruments.

    ReplyDelete
  8. virtue: Hey there, dahlin'! Don't see ya 'round here much (ok, ever!) ;^)
    When can I get it, and will it still fit? *ducking*

    (Damn, you've gotten faster!) ;^)

    Tell me all about your new bodhran (size, depth, tone, et al.). Have fun with it; I *know* you know how to play it. :^)

    ReplyDelete
  9. ktreva: More are forthcoming, don't you worry (or maybe start worrying, I get confused...)

    tut: bodhrans don't smell as bad as dead animals (close, but not quite). I have more "instrument jokes" than just bodhran jokes; just never had a reason to post them before now. :^)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I like goatskin...I'm allergic to latex

    ReplyDelete
  11. virtue: Excellant! Sounds like a good drum. You have learned well, my child. :^)

    You *know* that you have to bring it by when you come over to drop off my shirt.

    Me? Lose weight? I've decided to go on the path of the fat and happy. Heh. (Good one, though!) :^D

    ReplyDelete
  12. ktreva: PLEASE tell me you mean sheepskin... unless you *like* that sandpapery chafed feeling.

    Wait... Nevermind. ;^)

    ReplyDelete