Thursday, February 02, 2006

Thanks For That, Virtue!

Virtue, at The Rantings of an Indentured Servant , absolutely made my day with her Jan. 23 post of "Wes would be proud of me..."!

For reasons I'll go into later tonight, after the kids are in bed, I had one helluva crappy day. So, I come home, flip on the 'puter and see that I have a comment from Virtue!

This has never happened before, ohmygawdwhat'swrong, is she okay, did someone die, etc.

Firstly, she's almost finished sewing my shirt (long story... in which she shall be eternally teased), but most importantly, she bought her very first bodhran!

Virtue is the first (and only, at this point) person I ever taught to play the bodhran...

(NO, not with an open penknife! Get out of my head Contagion/Ktreva!)

... and nevermind what she says about her talent ...

(about playing the bodhran -- jeeze everyone out of the gutter now!)

... she is a good bodhranii. (that's bodhran with an /ee/ sound after -- the proper name for a bodhran player -- no, it's not "rythymless asshole", so Get Bent!)

Sorry, the voices again...

Anywho, she knows that 1/3 of being a good bodhranii is knowing when NOT to play, 1/3 is knowing HOW to play -- how to hold the cipin ("faggy hand"), how to hold the drum, what the different rythyms are in Irish/Scottish music, etc.-- and the final 1/3 is knowing WHEN to play.

So many drum bangers don't know any of that, simple as the concepts seem.

Roll on, Virtue! Thanks for putting the silver lining on my grey-assed cloud of a day.

BTW, I've always been proud of ya; now I have yet another reason to be. :^)

4 comments:

  1. 'beaters' and 'faggy hands', are you making this up? no wonder bhodranites get made fun of.

    ReplyDelete
  2. beaters, tippers, cipins; it's all the same thing: a stick to hit the drum with.

    "Faggy hand" is how it was described to me as the way to hold the tipper; grasping tight with the fingers, but keeping the wrist loose and flexible.

    Yeah, I know you're giggling. So was I when I first heard it put that way. But then, when I actually learned to play I was drunk off my ass and I was giggling at everything. :^)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wes, you made me hot just reading your posting. But sorry, Tut gets all the rewards.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey, as long as I can make *somebody* - preferably of the female persuasion - hot, my job is done. :^)

    ReplyDelete