Wednesday, September 27, 2006

23 Days And Counting...

Twenty-three days 'til Trail of History, the last re-enactment of the year.

This year's actually a first for me: I'm going alone rather as part of a group. Because of that, I had to re-apply. Since I'd been going since '98 (but for a couple of years I had to miss), I thought that was a bit silly, but hey, what can you do? I sent in an application, complete with photos (thanks to Contagion), and a character history. Below is what I wrote:

I portray Tomas "Dhu" ("Black") MacGregor, or Tam to me friends. I am the only surviving son of Fergal McBrian, an Irish Jacobite from West Meath, and Fionna MacGregor, a daughter of James MacGregor, a Jacobite from Balquidder, Scotland.

I was born in Balquidder, Scotland and baptised Tomas McBrian, some years after the failed Jacobite Rebellion of 1715. An Irishman by blood, a Scotsman by place, and a fervent Jacobite by the Grace of God, I was there at the dog's dinner that was the Battle on Culloden's Moor.


Me da is there still.


After, knowing that McBrians were well known as Irish Jacobites fighting in Scotland, I thought it wise to take me ma's name.

(Although there were MacGregors at the Battle of Culloden, we didn't fight as a clan. Because of this there was more peril in being known as a McBrian than as a MacGregor!)


I tried to rebuild a life in the land of my birth, but the Sasanachs found more value in cattle and sheep than in Scotsmen, let alone Irishmen! So, selling what little goods and gear I had (but for me granda's claymore and me bodhran), I booked passage as crew on a leaky tub for the Americas.


Landing on the quay in Virginia, I've since come West trying to find a peaceful life away from the bloody English. But the Sasanachs are looking for another fight, this time with the French and certain tribes of Savages.

’Tis only a wee matter of time afore I take up me granda's claymore against the Bloody-backs.

Until that time, I find peace where I may, playing me bodhran and singing what Irish and Scottish ditties as come to mind - many of the Jacobite persuasion, of course - for what crumbs may come me way.

The "Tam to me friends" refers to the way it sounds when a Scotsman tries to say "Tom", so in effect, I'm "Black Tom" in English.

Just in case you were wondering.

I'll post pictures later, if I can remember how.....

13 comments:

  1. Hey Wes, you should check into your site more, there's some cool shit here once in a while, unlike Chems cheap ass 46 year old crows feet havin saggy nut sack write half a story and leave ya hangin site.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Even Chems nut sack is having male pattern baldness, he showed me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. At least he has enough hair on his back for a baby lemur to cling to. He showed me!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I felt violated!! REALLY!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm just glad he didn't ask me to entangle my monkey in his back hair.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Chems a freak!! I like him. He can flex his butt cheeks like Schwarzenegger flexes his pecs. He showed me!! He's got the cutest little dimple, like the one in Kirk Douglas' chin.

    ReplyDelete
  7. DAMN Tut! Hope ya feel better, dude, gettin' all that off yer chest! :^D

    BTW, my word verification?

    chuux.

    It just gets weirder and weirder...

    ReplyDelete
  8. And Chem's only 36, not 46. That would mean that *I* would be 46, and that just ain't right.

    About the rest; lemurs, and ass-dimples, and nut sack male-pattern baldness...

    I'll just take your word for that there. :^P

    ReplyDelete
  9. can't blame ya wes, it wasn't pleasant for me either. i still wake in a cold sweat hearing chem's nefarious chuckle as he slowly exposed his alien abduction induced mutations and appetites to me. trust me, dude, it was totally against my will. except for the back hair part, that was kind of cool. maybe i have been at work too long tonight but i could swear my word verification had something about poop in it. course it is that time of year, upper respiratory infections and rampant diarrhea. glad you finally get to hit a re-enactment again, even if solo. enjoy, just don't waste any of my red coated ancestors, eh? i somewhat enjoy my present existence, ya know?

    ReplyDelete
  10. oh yeah, the whole chem bein' ten years older than me? the girls at work thought i was only twenty eight. i just wanted to remind them not to let his birthday be eclipsed by their obvious admiration of my boyish good looks, really...

    ReplyDelete
  11. So... how did Trail of History go?

    I think you owe the world an update... :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yeah, I 'spose... Haven't posted 'cause - well, I'll get into that. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Update... lame excuse... whatever.

    Just post something :-)

    ReplyDelete