Monday, December 05, 2005

It's Been A While, I Know.

Let's see, what's goin' on? Oh yeah, It's frrriggin' COLD outside, especially at 5 in the AM. Had to go to work early this morning to clear snow off the walkways at school.

(Nevermind that 90% of the "little darlings" - hereafter called "LDs" - tramp through the snow next to the sidewalks anyway, rendering my shoveling pointless...)

Oh, use the snowblower you say? Funny thing about that: nevermind that the Screwl District still hasn't brought gas for the thing (yeah I had to go back home to get a gas can), on the second pull of the pull starter, the handle came off in my hand.

Yep, fun times.

Heh.

Anyway, after I calmed down from a rolling boil to a simmer, my first call was to my stupervisor asking, "When can I get a piece of equipment that ISN'T A LUMP OF HORSESHIT!?". My second call was to the Screwl District's facilities department itself. I constantly do end-runs around my stupervisor - that's about the only way I can get crap done, as I'm sure you can understand.

Tomorrow I get to converse with a union rep (they're trying to "orginize": you know, like "crime").

I'm torn actually. On the one hand, I have no benefits - no holiday pay, no insurance, and I'm being paid less than half of what screwl district custodians have made in the past for the exact same amount/type of work. On the other hand, unions (as I've experienced in numerous jobs I've had) are tools of the Liberal Dumbocratic machine, wanting me to pay them for "letting me" work.

So. Whatcha think? Use "the machine" for my own selfish needs? Tell them to piss off? Personally, I'd like them to piss off, but using them to get what I want appeals to me as well.

Oh, what to do......

14 comments:

  1. So do I. I don't trust them. However, a union is inevitable what with the sheer number of human sheep that are a part of this company who will believe anything they're told by *someone who cares*.

    Now, I can enter the flock with my eyes wide open, knowing what horseshit it is, or fight it and have to watch my back for a knife with cloven hoof prints on it. Because *when* the union comes in, anyone outside it's a target - and I've been THERE before.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i too dislike the unions but, unfortunately, as you pointed out, you will be screwed by one or the other, company or union. may as well get what you can out of the deal if it is ineveitable anyway. i even dislike that attitude but what's a guy gonna do? at least you will have some protection from an employer who is trying to save/make money by cutting your throat and treating you like their crappy work condition, bare survival wage paying, no benefit having job is pure gold and you're lucky to have it. too bad there is always someone else who needs the job badly enough to take it anyway, even when they know what they are getting into. that's the only way employers get away with stuff like that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. tut: Yep. And the real kicker is, whether or not I join this union, they will STILL take dues out of my check 'cause of that stupid "fair share" crap unions have where they can take your money and STILL not represent you 'cause "yer not in the union".
    Screwed either way....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Then keep your eyes wide open. Isn't there an old saying about keeping your friends close, but your enemies closer? Better than getting a knife in your back as you say.

    ReplyDelete
  5. wow, i didn't know they could do that too. who is the union leader? maybe he should be keeping hoffa warm wherever he is. BTW, in the school district here LD is for 'learning disabled' not 'little darlings'. i notice that 'liberal democrat' (or dumbocrat) has the same initials. interesting, isn't it? i wonder how you can make your union rep's life miserable since it sounds as though you'll be saddled with one anyway? hey, they're making you pay to play, as i see it, that makes them your new plaything!

    ReplyDelete
  6. ktreva: Oooh yes, I will. :)

    tut: Thanks for playing at home, dude...
    LD means the same thing here (the nicest kids in my school are *really* the LD kids) I refer to the ones who act mentally stunted by choice. But I didn't even think of Liberal Dumbacrat = LD.
    See, I can play at home too. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. tut: Oh yeah, the fair share law: In IL., if you work in a union shop, but are not a union member (ie; part-time, temp., or just don't want to join), you still pay the union for the *privilege* to work there. THEY say that because you "benefit" from the union (pay, bennies, etc.) you have to pay, too -- nevermind that PTers and temps make no where NEAR what the Union guys do.
    The only "representation" you receive is collective -- if you need a union rep for a dispute with management, you're SOL 'cause "yer not in the union".

    ReplyDelete
  8. tut: Ask Chem what I said to the union rep at Excel. Ah never mind, I'll tell you.

    I told the rep that the union was nothing more than a pimp: I take my pay from the boss, the boss screws me, and I pay the union a percentage of what I make. What's that sound like to YOU?

    ReplyDelete
  9. These idiots need to remember that part of the reason the School district dumped the previous staff was because of the unions and how much it was costing them to have them.

    Okay, they bring in a union. That doesn't mean the school district will pay you more, it just might make the contract they have with the contractor you work for undesireable. Thus, they find a new contractor. Now all of those that are unemployed get to find the same job with the new contractor. What did you gain?

    ReplyDelete
  10. contagion: You are absolutely, 100% correct sir! That's EXACTLY what I've been saying to anyone who'd listen.

    ReplyDelete
  11. sounds like that makes you a mattressback! the word verification was faemdegg. sounds like a good name for an irish redneck.

    ReplyDelete
  12. tut: faemdegg. Irish redneck. I LIKE it! LOL!

    ReplyDelete