Wednesday, September 05, 2007

"I'm Thirty - Seven, I'm Not *Old*!"

I've waited.... well..... 37 years to say that!

If you don't get the reference, watch this:




Happy Birthday to me....

I've had a good couple of days. The Wife was doing some research of her own on her condition. She found that, since she was diagnosed this early in her pregnancy, there is a good chance that her placenta will "migrate" away from her cervix


(Pack your bags, you pesky membrane & move along!)

within the next few weeks, taking her off bed-rest.... which she's awful at anyway: she sucks at "bed-rest". Not that I blame her -- when you have no choice in the matter, (being told you can't move or something bad will happen) is COMPLETELY DIFFERENT from choosing to veg-out on the couch for days at a time...

So that's good news! Possibly.... We hope.....

Yesterday, Contagion came over bearing a gift, a product of hours of leather working that I found quite touching: He took a binder (such as I use to hold song lyrics for re-enactments) and hand stitched a cover for it!

NOT an easy thing to do!

He sewed it with a soft, dark brown deerskin covering the outside and thick cowhide leather on the inside. It's held together with sinew and has a deer antler button on the front, to be held closed with a braided sinew cord. On the inside cover is stamped:

"For Sengo...
...Because we forgive the Irish

Seamus"

On top of that, he spent a load of time hunting on-line for songs to go into the folder!

That
in itself can be a pain in the arse, especially if your not sure of the name of the song you're looking for.

Thank you Seamus! :-)

Then, tonight I got home from work about 8pm. I noticed the garage door was open, so rather than go into the house by the front door, I went to the back, closed the garage, and went in the back door.

THAT threw a wrench into "The Surprise"...

The Wife, her Mom, our neighbor "Ms. H", & all my childerbeasts were lying in wait for me to come in the
front door.... in the dark.

I hear "Ms. H" say, "Crap! He's coming in the back door!"

I'm laughing by now & stepping into the dining room from the kitchen I hear,

"Surprise!!!"

I'm swarmed by Snoofy, Magoo, and Li'l Man (he's not a "Baby Boy" anymore! *sniff*) yelling, "HAPPY BIRTHDAY DADDY!!!"

Whatever bad stuff happened that day... just kinda disappeared from memory.

The Wife baked me a chocolate cake...

I TOLD you, she SUCKS at the whole bed-rest thing!

...
and on it printed in frosting, "You're 37, you're not old!"

The kids made me cards (which I always love getting!), & The Wife got me a gift card for Barnes & Noble's.

I sometimes wonder how
I of all people got such a great family.

Lastly, but not leastly (?)....

Thank you all for your prayers & kind thoughts and words!

I have had a true education in friendship these last few days/weeks. Some of you I've met briefly, some a few times, and some of you not at all. Hopefully someday we'll all have a chance to get together so's I can thank you all in person for all of your emotional support and prayers. I truly can't find the words to express my gratitude to all of you, as anything I might say would sound..... so..... inadequate... compared to the outpouring of good will toward me and mine.

Thank you all again, and again, and again......

Love,
Wes

7 comments:

  1. Happy Birth Day, Dude!

    And you and yours are still in the prayers.

    Petey

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sounds as if you had yourself a super terrific birthday. Sending best wishes for your beautiful family, oh, and a belated Happy Birthday!!! :-)

    h~

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Belated Birthday, Wes!

    Not old at all, it'll be no time before you're pining for the fjords. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Petey: Thanks dude. :-)

    T1G: Pining for the fjORDS!!?? :-D

    h~: Yeah, it was a pretty great day, thanks. Who ARE you? :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeah... you know... resting. Stunned. :)

    And just in case you didn't really know, h~ is Bou's ma.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks T1G, I really didn't know, but now that I do....

    HI, BOU'S MA!!! :-D

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't care if it *is* a Python reference, you're still old :-P

    ReplyDelete